Friday, February 11, 2011

My Psalm 23 revelation today

I was at a "Lunch and Learn" study at church on Tuesday and we were challenged to read Psalm 23 daily and meditate on it.

I missed yesterday, and decided this morning to read it from the amplified version on Bible Gateway. I'd like to share verse 5 with you and the related footnote. I can't make it any better, so I won't try.

Psalm 23:5 "You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my [brimming] cup runs over"


Footnote -

"It is difficult for those living in a temperate climate to appreciate, but it was customary in hot climates to anoint the body with oil to protect it from excessive perspiration. When mixed with perfume, the oil imparted a delightfully refreshing and invigorating sensation. Athletes anointed their bodies as a matter of course before running a race. As the body, therefore, anointed with oil was refreshed, invigorated, and better fitted for action, so the Lord would anoint His "sheep" with the Holy Spirit, Whom oil symbolizes, to fit them to engage more freely in His service and run in the way He directs--in heavenly fellowship with Him."

I hope this blesses you today as much as it did me!

No comments: