Saturday, September 5, 2009

Toddler sleeping delusions

Our last Saturday before soccer begins. No where to be, nothing pressing to do....Gray skies, cool weather makes for great sleeping in...

Except, we have a sweet toddler girl who would sleep until 7 or 7:30 on school days (yes that is sleeping in around here), but today has to awake before 6! Hubby went in and tried to reason with her! Yeah, that worked!!???!!

So I picked her up and brought her into our bed, with hopes of more visions of sugarplums. Yeah....not happenin....

First she struggled free from my arms and touched Dad's face. Dad rolled over and ignored her to which she began chanting, "Daddy, Daddy, Daddy, Daddy" 10 million times.
I snuggled her, she kicked me.
I tried giving her some space, she grabbed my arm and pulled it back around her.
She kicked me and jumped on the bed.
She used the bed as a drum.
She talked. What's with all the repetition?
She has some kind of a secret conspiracy going on with the cat too. He was meowing and running all over the house.
Why did I think she would go back to sleep? She is 2, and a bundle of energy....

I gave in....and got up....took her down to breakfast...to which she said "Dark in here, mommy?!" and I very calmly stated, "That's because the sun is still sleeping and I wish we were too!"

Oh well, plenty of time to sleep later,

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

HAHAHA! I've been there ssooo many times! My three-year-old has taken to waking up at 5:30 every morning - only 20 minutes before my alarm is supposed to wake me up! So I've gotten into the habit of handing him my cell phone so he can call his Daddy, who is finishing up his trip home driving truck. They chat for a few minutes then my little guy hands me the phone and goes back to sleep! Amazing! Even when he's not home, Daddy can help me get those much-needed 20 minutes!

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

I totally sympathise! My 5 year old is an early riser 6am ish! My almost 3 year old has become the same and it is so hard and exhausting.
Love Collette xxx

Heather said...

Poor Mom and Dad! If only they would realize how much we need that extra 30 minutes!! I remember when our oldest was younger, Dragon Tales at 6 AM became our best friend.