Thursday, July 23, 2009

DIY rocking chair refinish

I have been itching to do some re-purposing....

I also wanted to get Gigi a chair that is her own size.

So when I came across this gem at a garage sale for $5, I snatched it up. I looked at it and thought "It can't be that much work."

Photobucket

I had read on another website that Easy-Off Oven-Cleaner worked well for removing paint. I happened to have some handy. So I sprayed it down and let it sit for 5 minutes. Wow, the paint did come off pretty easily, too!

Photobucket

However, I didn't count on how many layers of paint were on this chair!

Photobucket

These are the colors I remember seeing. Lavender, Navy blue, yellow, aqua, red, and white. Whew! Three rounds of stripping. 2 coats of primer and then 2 coats of glossy white paint.

The finished product - and Gigi loves it!

Photobucket

10 comments:

Queen to my 3 Boys said...

Wow, it looks great - fabulous job!

Easy Off, who'da thought? Thanks for the tip.

NJDecorator said...

Great job.....visiting from SITS.

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

Nightingale said...

Nice blog, here is some more information on Rocking Chairs.

Debbie in Nashville said...

It's amazing what a little work and a can of spary paint can do. Looks great!!

Tina said...

Thanks for the Oven Cleaner tip. I had no idea!

Adry Viola said...

So awesome! I totally need to redo my rocking chair - it is 13 years old, but I won't get rid of it. Hubby snarls but oh well. I still use it with my 1 year old so I have the say on it staying. :) So I need to repaint it asap so it can be "pretty" anywhere and I don't have to hide it in a corner.

Fawn said...

Very cool rehab... love the oven cleaner tip!

Ashley said...

Wpw! I went through that with a cupboard one time!

ldsmommyof12 said...

I love doing this too. fun and rewarding.

bigmamacass said...

LOVE IT!