Friday, August 20, 2010

Beginning homeschooling fears

I start Monday homeschooling my seventh grade daughter. I am terrified! Of what? A pre-adolescent? Really? I had to deal with lots of those in my time....

No, that isn't it. I am terrified of screwing up my child. I am prepared, I think.... I started researching curriculum over a year ago. I went to the local conference and didn't miss a session. I interviewed other homeschooling moms. I researched public/private school options in our area. I checked into what the course of study was in the public schools. I bought curriculum (chasing down bargains). Most importantly, I prayed and I know this is God's best will for my child right now.

Am I qualified? I don't know. Am I up to the challenge? I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me!! That doesn't mean that fear isn't trying to seep in. It is a daily battle.

And honestly, I am a little selfish! Yep. I admitted it. While I look forward to spending time with her, I can't help but feel like I am cut off. I can't commit to a library storytime with my preschooler. I can't commit to a daytime bible study. I can't commit to a MOPS group. Feeling a little alone.....

But I KNOW that this is God's will and His will is always greater than we can ever imagine. I KNOW that I only have so much time left to impart great things to this child before she thinks I am an ignorant lunatic. I know that my ultimate responsibility is to be the parent God has called me to be. Being a mom is the best way to beat out our selfishness. It is always a sacrifice. This is just one more of those ways. It doesn't compare to the sacrifice that my Heavenly Father made for me.

Do me a favor? Just check in on me from time to time and help me to remember....

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Are you qualified???? I don't think any of her prior teachers, as talented as they may have been, loved your daughter as much as you do. She is more important to you than she ever was to them. You are abundantly qualified!!!

This new adventure is not going to be without bumps, but we tend to grow better during the trials than we do when everything is all hunky-dory!

Btw, why can't you commit to preschool story time? Your older daughter can do research or have library time while you do story time with the little one. Flexibility is one of a homeschooler's greatest assets!!! Your time is your own and you can make it work for you. You won't be spending 8 hours a day, 5 days a week doing lessons (if you do, you'll burn yourself and your daughter out in a month).

Suggestion: read Deut. 6 to remind you what it means to parent!!!

Hang in there, Mom!!! Yes, I'll check back in on you from time to time to make sure you haven't pulled your hair out yet!lol

Mammatalk said...

Much luck, love and blessings sent your way! :+)

Wendi said...

Gwyn- I don't know anything about a homeschooling a pre-teen, but I can tell you that you are not qualified. Nobody is. I'm not qualified to teach a pre-schooler. I have never had to rely on God's guidance more for knowledge and wisdom, and how to remain sane (finding time to plan, regroup, etc.) It is awsome to see God work! However, I am certain that you will NOT screw up your child! Bless you this year! I'll pray for you!