Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Living Rich For Less

This is the time of year that people start to look for something to craft into a New Year's resolution. I myself don't "DO" resolutions. I prefer goals that are re-evaluated at different increments. Either way, Ellie Kay's, "Living Rich for Less" is an excellent way to help guide those who want to create financial goals for themselves or are just unhappy with where they are.

After reading this book I have dog-eared so many pages that I might as well have dog-eared all of them!

The basis of this book is the 10/10/80 rule. Giving 10 %, Saving 10%, and Spending Wisely the remaining 80%. This book is chocked full of tips on giving, including maximizing your giving dollar, tax benefits, and researching charities among them. Ways to give of yourself and your current possessions are also included in the giving section.

The saving portion reminds us to live in our means, pay off our debt and keep savings in the bank. The spending has so many tips that include information on insurance, budgeting, and even how to make your own baby wipes!

Her Cha Ching Factor tips sprinkled throughout the book offer ideas of ways to save big!

Ellie Kay is the best-selling author of Half-Priced Living and eleven other titles, including A Tip a Day with Ellie Kay and The Debt Diet, with more than 350,000 books sold. She's a regular television guest on CNBC's Power Lunch, Fox News, and CNN; and has been the featured family finance expert in numerous magazines and newspapers, including Family Circle, Women's World, and USA Today. Her financial help columns appear in a dozen periodicals and online, inucluding CNBC.com. a popular speaker, she's Wal-Mart's official financial help expert, and has served as a consumer education and official spokesperson for Proctor & GAmble, Visa Providian, MasterCard, and more. Ellie and her husband, Bob are parents of seven children and live in Palmdale, CA.

Leave a comment by Sunday, December 21 and I'll select a winner to receive a FREE copy! (A NEW copy, not my dog-eared one!)

4 comments:

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

I could really use some helpful tips on little ways to save everyday! But, I think I will pass on making my own baby wipes. Let's face it, I can't even get my Christmas cards out! ;0)

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Calista said...

Actually - when I had two kids in diapers, I made my own wipes using the electric knife I never used for meat to cut the Bounty roll in half before soaking it in a special tub I bought from Tupperware with a solution of baby shampoo, baby oil, and water. (How's that for a run on sentence!) It was very economical and I felt so thrifty. Of course, that was the extent of my thriftiness.... ;-)

Carrie said...

I would love some help in the money saving arena! Especially since my hubby's job is soooo slow right now! :)

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a great book - practical ideas you can put into practice. We all need ideas on how to manage our money to make it go further, to help others in the name of Jesus and to glorify God in how we spend the rest.
I like your blog. It is very professional looking and also inviting.