Saturday, June 13, 2009

Separation anxiety and afraid of the dark

For those of you thinking this is just another "mommy-blogger" post, just stick with it, it will be worth it in the end, I promise.

My toddler is almost two and has a little separation anxiety and fear of the dark. (I think a little of it is an act, but part of it is genuine). How do I know? Well, when we put her down for a nap or bed, she usually cries and calls out, "Where Mommy go?", "Where Daddy go?" and she'll go thru the whole family. We go back in and reassure her once that we are still here, but it's time to sleep. We do have a nightlight too.

While we were going through one of these episodes the other day, God gave me a revelation that I'd like to share. I saw myself as the toddler. When things in my life seem dark and I feel alone, I cry out, "Where did you go, God?" and He showed me He is still there on the "other side of the door". Just because I can't "feel" Him, doesn't mean He isn't there. He is. Watching over me. Always. I just have to trust Him, just like I am asking my toddler to trust me that I will not abandon her. That and look for his light in the darkness and be a part of making it brighter.

6 comments:

Shelley said...

Amen to that sister.

Housewife Savant said...

Thinking v. feeling - LOVE that. More importantly, GOD loves that.
Rom 12:2
Have a great Sunday!

Housewife Savant said...

I left that comment and realized it sounds so FUNDIE, like "feeling" isn't part of our relationship with God.
(That'll teach me for trying to be concise.)
Feelings FOLLOW thinking, right?
I receive courage from knowing (believing) God is on the other side of that door. Unchanging. Awesome.
(See; never an economy of words.)

Angela Nazworth said...

Very beautiful. I love how God uses our children to teach us more about Him.

MIITB said...

What a great little story!

I actually posted a little ditty yesterday about my son asking why we were with him all day long and then made him be all alone at night in the scary dark. Needless to say we now have a family bed...

Heather said...

It is so much easier to understand our relationship with God when we become parents ourselves, don't you think?

Great post. God is always with us, even when we can't "see" His presence...