Thursday, June 4, 2009

Stealing Home


I am often disappointed when I read cliche novels. Where are the surprises that life hands out? Why are the characters lifepaths so easy to predict? So I was pleased to read Stealing Home by Allison Pittman. Why? Because it's characters are real! They have real struggles. They are human. And I won't ruin it for you, but I did not predict the final chapters of the book!

It’s 1905 and the Chicago Cubs are banking on superstar Donald “Duke” Dennison’s golden arm to help them win the pennant. Only one thing stands between Duke and an unprecedented ten thousand dollar contract: alcohol.

That’s when sportswriter David Voyant whisks Duke to the one-horse town of Picksville, Missouri, so he can sober up in anonymity. He bides his time flirting with Ellie Jane Voyant, his unofficial chaperone, who would rather hide herself in the railway station ticket booth than face the echoes of childhood taunts.

Ned Clovis, the feed store clerk, has secretly loved Ellie Jane since childhood, but he loves baseball and the Duke almost as much–until he notices Ellie Jane may be succumbing to the star’s charm.

Then there’s Morris, a twelve-year-old Negro boy, whose only dream is to break away from Picksville. When Duke discovers his innate talent for throwing a baseball, Morris might just have found his way out.

Four individuals, each living in haunted isolation, each harboring a secret passion. Providence brings them together. Tragedy threatens to tear them apart. Will love be enough to bring them home?

Allison Pittman spent seventeen years as a high school English teacher, and then shunned the advice of “experts,” quit her day job and set out to write novels that bring glory to God. She relishes inspiring other writers and leading the theater arts group at her church. She and her husband and three sons live in Universal City, Texas.

Buy it here.

I also have a copy to give away! Leave a comment by Friday, June 12 if you are interested.

8 comments:

Shelley said...

I love to read too. Please enter me to win this book. Thanks.

Heather said...

I recieved the book in the mail today. Thank you I can't wait to read it!!

What another great giveaway!

Chaos-Jamie said...

I know! The ending was a shocker!

Anonymous said...

My mom would enjoy this one. Hope I win!
renee
yeloechikee at hotmail dot com

Unknown said...

I would like to read this

Laurel said...

this looks like fun!

Marie said...

I hope I win. This sounds like a nonstop page turner.

mccataquet(at)comcast(dot)net

Donna said...

Sounds like another great book!!! I love to read!