Thursday, January 22, 2009

Being Transparent

Being able to be seen thru.....

I have been thinking a lot in the last year about people that I admire. I have been dwelling on the reasons that I consider them mentors and want to learn from them. The biggest reason that I have come up with is transparency.

Relationships in our society today are so superficial. Fashion, current trends, gadgets, celebrity lifestyles and such occupy so much conversation now. (Not that I don't enjoy fashion trends, mind you!)

I think that more than ever I want to be surrounded by people who make their flaws and struggles known. How are we going to help each other, encourage each other, pray for one another, and yes, even learn from each other, if we keep those things bottled up in our hearts?

I am not encouraging people to replace the role of God with others. Our burdens should be laid at His feet first. But He has strategically placed others in your life that can encourage you. Seek them out!

What has kept me from this? Fear. Fear of rejection, fear of being hurt, fear of betrayed trust. Is this going to happen? Sometimes, it will. Because we all are human.

But isn't the benefit worth the risk?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so hard to be transparent. I agree it's ideal. I think it's hard because if you're transparent in relationships and give your whole self it hurts more if someone rejects you.

Unknown said...

Wow, we're thinking alike today. Very well put. Placing all of our struggles and worries at the foot of the Cross, and then letting God lead us through the people he places in our lives...
Now THAT's what I strive for.
Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog.

Leah said...

great post. i am currently reading the yada yada prayer group series (i'm only in book 1) but it revolves around the friendships of women trying to be transparent with eachother and God.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

The Blonde Duck said...

That's a good point. I think we've all got a layer of armor. But I do think relationships are more superficial!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Very well put! I definitely believe the risks are worth the reward. I wish you luck!!!!!